One needs to bear in mind that all pregnancies and deliveries are different. Hence, one needs to always consult with one’s doctor prior to starting on any exercise schedule following childbirth. In case one is experiencing symptoms like uncontrolled, heavy bleeding, unwarranted tenderness, headaches or any atypical symptoms during or immediately following the exercise, then one needs to halt it promptly and seek doctor’s advice.
Exercise 1 – Taking Walks
Though this might not seem a significant amount of exercise, however, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists have vouched that walking is the easiest means of easing into an exercise schedule following childbirth. Even a simple unhurried stroll to a revved-up power walking session could do marvels to one’s mind and body. And, by carrying the child along in a front-facing pack or merely in the arms, one could automatically have an additional ‘weight’ that might add up to the advantages.
One could vary it, by attempting to walk backwards or in a crisscross manner that would constantly put the muscles in a state of guessing. Though, one must be careful to only involve the child into this form of activity once one has gained balance and have learned the ways to properly do it.
Exercise 2 – Deep abdominal breathing alongside abs-constriction
This is so simple to perform that one could get started with it in just an hour’s time following childbirth. Though, there might be other matters lingering on one’s mind, and it would not harm to wait for a more appropriate occasion to get started. This set of exercises aids in relaxing the muscles, and additionally elicits the process of tightening and toning the abs and a sagging belly. Below stated is the manner in which to carry out this set of exercises.
- Sitting erect and breathing deeply, sucking up air in an upward motion from the diaphragm.
- Contracting and holding the abs or the core tightly while one inhales and relaxing during the time one exhales.
- Eventually increasing the time periods one could carry out contractions and hold the abs.
Exercise 3 – Lifts involving the shoulder and the head
These two forms of lifts aid in strengthening the muscles of the back, toning the stomach and abs and exhuming calories.
The manner of carrying out head lifts:
- Lying down flat on the back with the arms outstretched on the sides.
- With the lower part of the back totally touching the ground, bending the knees till the base of the feet are touching the floor.
- Inhaling during the time of relaxing the belly.
- Exhaling while one gradually raises the head and neck above the floor.
- Inhaling during the time of lowering the head to touch the floor back again.
Shoulder lifts could be added once the head lifts can be successfully done for ten times.
The manner in which a shoulder lift is done:
- Taking the same stance as one did while doing head lifts.
- Inhaling and relaxing the belly.
- During the time of gradual exhalation, lifting the head and shoulders off the ground, and try to reach with the arms and hands towards the bent knees. In case one senses a strain in the neck, then clasping both hands behind the head instead.
- Inhaling during lowering the head and shoulders back down.
Exercise 4 – The whorl up
When ten shoulder lifts could be done, then one could graduate to whorl up. To maximising the benefits derived from shoulder and head lifts, one could commence by taking same stance on the floor. Rather than merely raising the head and shoulders, the torso would need to be raised till it nearly midway in-between the knees and the ground behind. The arms must then be used for reaching towards the knees and holding for a count in-between 2 and 5, following which the torso needs to be lowered. One needs to exhale while exerting and inhale during relaxing.
Exercise 5 – Genuflect pelvic tilt
One needs to come down on the floor on all fours with the toes feeling the ground behind, arms pointing straight downwards from the line of the shoulders and the palms to touch the ground. The back needs to be relaxed and erect, avoiding any kind of curving or arching. During inhalation, pulling the buttocks forward, the pelvis needs to be tilted and the pubic bone rotated upwards. This pose needs to be held till a count of 3 and then released.
Exercise 6 – Kegel Time
This timeless archetypal new-momma exercise would aid in toning, controlling the bladder muscles and lowering the chances of incontinence related to delivery. This form of exercise comprises the contraction and relaxation of the muscles that are responsible for urination.
One could comprehend which muscles they exactly are by manipulating the muscles during urination till the flow momentarily halts, then releasing and letting the urine to pass. One needs to recollect the feeling of that and pretend doing the same when not urinating. By regularly following Kegels, one could gain enhanced control over those surprise leaks that occur when one sneezes, laughs or picks up the child.