It is easier than you think to create something special with your children though and once you get started, you will find that you are able to come up with your own ideas more and more easily.
When you work with your children on arts and crafts projects, there are many benefits. First, these types of activities are great for children’s fine motor skills. Manipulating small tools like scissors and paintbrushes is a wonderful way to build up those finger muscles. It also exercises kids’ creativity, spatial sense, and problem solving abilities. Finally, it is a great chance to build their oral language, and their bond with you!
Here are some arts and crafts ideas for kids that will keep them happy and occupied, and do not require the parents to be particularly gifted artists!
- Color with Sharpie markers on waxed paper and hang in the window for a stained glass feel.
- Make frosting paint with powdered sugar, water, and food coloring. Let kids paint on paper and then let it dry to a cool texture.
- Create water bottle instruments by filling empty bottles with different objects like dry beans, rice, screws, popcorn, or paper clips. Make a water bottle band!
- Find a large cardboard box and turn it into a car, ship, fire truck, or whatever else you can think of!
- Grab some old mismatched socks (you know we all have those!). Glue or sew buttons, yarn, and other embellishments onto them to make good old-fashioned sock puppets!
- While you are at it, turn that cardboard box into a puppet theater.
- Try making your own Play-Doh. It is easy!
– 2 c flour
– 2 c warm water
– 1 c salt
– 2 tbsp vegetable oil
– 1 tbsp cream of tartar
– Food coloring or unsweetened drink mix to color
– Mix all ingredients together and stir over low heat until the dough pulls away from the sides.
- Tissue paper stained glass: Cover a piece of waxed paper with liquid starch. Tear pieces of tissue paper and place onto the waxed paper to create a stained glass effect.
- Create sculptures from mini-marshmallows and toothpicks
- Make pipe cleaner letters: wrap pretty colored yarn around pipe cleaners. Put the pipe cleaners together to make letters. Use the letters to spell a special word, or to create your name.
- Color different shapes of pasta with paint or food coloring. String them to create jewelry or glue them onto paper to make collages.
- Make shaving cream paint: Mix shaving cream with watercolors or food coloring. Paint on paper for a fun texture, or paint the bathtub!
- Create a wind chime by using a coat hanger. Tie strings to the coat hanger, and tie shells, washers, or other small items to the strings.
- Make a DIY lava lamp: Fill a 2-liter bottle ¾ full with vegetable oil. Fill the rest with water, leaving about 1 inch at the top. Add about 10 drops of food coloring. Add an alka-seltzer tablet, and watch the magic!
You can see that you do not have to be a creative genius, nor spend a ton of money, to find plenty of arts and crafts ideas for kids, and once you start making them at home, you will have as much fun as your kids are! What a great way to spend time together!